Lorry Loader Training
The RTITB Vehicle Mounted Hydraulic Lorry Loader (often called a lorry loader, vehicle mounted hydraulic loader or by the manufacturer name "hiab") operator course will give you the skills to operate the crane safely and efficiently. You will learn how to carry out a pre-use inspection, operate the various attachments, manoeuvre a variety of loads using the machine, and understand signals given by the slingers and signallers. You will also be able to recall and explain the causes of instability of the truck and loads.
The course covers, but is not limited to, the following areas;
- Machine controls and instruments
- Set up for lifting operations
- Basic operations (raising, lowering, slewing)
- Preparing and securing for travel
- Lifting and placing loads at various levels
- Selection and use of attachments
- Load weight assessment
- The principles of safe operation
Course Durations (for 4 people):
- Novice candidate: 22.5 hours
- Experienced (but untrained) candidate: 15 hours
- Refresher (recommended every 3 years) candidate: 7.5 hours
- Conversion candidate: 15 hours
Last year over 1,100 people completed and passed RTITB hydraulic lorry loader crane ("hiab") training and testing and achieved their Certificate of Basic Operator Training.
To start your training journey, enter your postcode below and find your nearest RTITB centre, or if you are outside of the UK tick the box to see a list of our international training providers. You can then contact the RTITB centre of your choice directly through our website to book your lorry loader crane training.